High-school and college student-athletes from all across the county volunteer as positive role models for the children we visit throughout the year in our reading program. They read with the 2nd graders and take the time to discuss the life lesson contained in each story.
Student-athletes emphasize the value of education and reading, and explain to the children that if they don't get good grades and try their best at school, they don't get to participate in sports.
WHY VOLUNTEER WITH 2ND & 7?
- To pay it forward and make a difference
- Become a role model for young children
- Meet community service hour requirements
- Gain experience working with children in large and small group settings
- Build your resume
WHAT HAPPENS DURING A READING VISIT?
- Use your platform as a role model to encourage children to read
- Read a book from our Hog Mollies series and discuss the book’s important life lesson
- Distribute free books to the participating children
2ND & 7
View news & more related to programming in your state.